Tuesday, December 21, 2010

In the market for some beers


disclaimer: I started this post before Christmas, but finished it on 12/27.

Today I was off from work. My big plan was to finish up my Christmas shopping, which I almost did. I hit up the beer store with the intention of getting just a couple bottles as gifts. I ended up with a full basket worth of brews. The whole time I was walking around I kept cursing because there was so much I wanted to pick up just for myself. It took some real restraint not to load up on all the seasonals. I ended up grabbing just three bottles for myself. Being at that particular store made me think about what makes up a good beer store. There are so few good stores in Jersey. The few stand out stores definitely have their flaws, but I am grateful for their existence. Below is a list of a few of my favorite stores and what they have to offer.

Oak Tree Discount Wines and Spirits: 902 Oak Tree Ave, South Plainfield, NJ.
This is the most well regarded beer store in Jersey among beer geeks. They offer a wide range of domestic and import ales and lagers as well as your usual wine and spirit selection. They have a full range of larger format bottles along with 12 ounce singles and six packs. There is a pretty well stocked refridgerated section. They offer all the macros in a bunch of different packaging (ie six pack, case, 30 rack, etc). They might have kegs, but I'm not sure. Probably what makes this place really stand out is their selection of import beers. The entire back wall of the store is dedicated to imports from around the world. They have everything you could want from Belgiam, Germany, England, and beyond. The beer manager is knowledgeable and helpful. I will say that the last few times that I went there, I was disappointed in the selection. They really didn't have much new. The seasonal display left something to be desired. The domestic shelves also looked like they hadn't been restocked in a minute. I haven't been there in a few months, so hopefully they have gotten their act back together.

Joe Canal's Discount Liquor Outlet: 489 Route 1 South, Iselin (Woodbridge), NJ.
This place has a good selection of craft brews but it is mainly a wine and liquor store. They have your usual macro selection with plenty of refridgerated options as well as room temp pallet drops towards the back of the store. They have one wall dedicated to craft beer. Decent selection of domestic bombers and some larger format imports. They offer some single twelve ouncers as well. Selection is above average, but far from ideal. There isn't much in the way of good customer service as the beer guy works between two stores, and judging from the way the department usually looks, he is spread a bit thin. One thing that sets Joe Canal's apart is that they have a growler fill station. They will fill any half gallon growler from one of their six rotating taps. They also sell empty growlers to fill.

Shoprite Liquors of Westfield: 333 South Avenue, Westfield, NJ 07090.
This is my new favorite spot. They have a good selection that seems to be restocked often. Their seasonal offerings and displays are top notch. Tight, inviting displays, with good variety and selection. They have a wide range of larger format singles and six packs. They have some stuff you wouldn't expect like Green Flash and Ballast Point. I found an '08 Sierra Bigfoot there (blog post to come). The staff is helpful and seem knowledgeable. I still haven't met the main beer guy, but he seems to have a grasp on what he is doing because each time I have been there I walked out with way more than I expected to purchase. The picture above is bottles I got from this place.

Check these places out if you are into craft brew. Support the few stores that have good offerings and if you know of any other good ones, send them my way. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment