Thursday, December 2, 2010

All Grain, All the Time


A couple weeks ago Adam and I did our first all grain batch. It's been two years since our first extract batch and we are only now getting into the AG. It's all good, because we are back on the horse and it should be all grain from here on out. We ended up doing the mash on the kitchen stove, which involved a complicated two pot system for heating the strike and sparge water. It was a little dicey at times, but thankfully Murphy spared us, and I think we got a pretty good technique going on. For the boil, we brought it outside to the propane burner, which is way more efficient then using two burners on the stove. Doing full wort boils is the way to go. The beer we brewed was a fairly standard American pale ale. It smelled really good when we transferred it to secondary last weekend. I'm looking forward to tasting this one. Check out pictures at the end.

A while back I posted this about open that bottle night. Now it seems that Mark Dredge has stolen my idea. Check it out. Well, maybe he came up with it independently, but either way, I was first. In any event, I am going to open up some bottles pretty soon. Maybe not this weekend as he suggests. This blog will be a year old in one week. As part of that anniversary I will be opening a few things I have been saving. I might post a video too. Stay tuned.

Also, I got a twitter account. I'm still getting used to it, but my thing is @beerglassesnj. Follow me if you want. I mostly just post pictures of what I am drinking each night.

Ingredients


Sparging


The boil

No comments:

Post a Comment