Saturday, August 21, 2010

Beercation: Part One


Last week my buddy Michael A got married in picturesque Felton, California. Back when I heard he had popped the question to his lovely girlfriend Ida, I knew I had to be there. Those dudes were pretty busy with wedding stuff and going on their honeymoon so I decided to do some beer sightseeing while I was out there. I had a damn good time. I only wish that I could have been out there for longer. Here's how it all went down.

Friday:
I roll into Santa Cruz in my rented Corolla Sport. Check into the seedy, yet overpriced, Ocean Gate Inn. Walk around SC for a bit and withdraw drinking funds from a cash machine. Immediately get a burrito from Taqueria Vallarta. I check out the local Whole Foods on Soquel. Bunk. Time to drink. First stop is the Asti, sometimes affectionately referred to as the Nasti. Also bunk. Me, the bartender, and several degenerate but endearing regulars. I get a Fat Tire Amber. It was delicious, but I had to be at a better spot. I hit up a beer bar called the Poet and the Patriot. It was owned by a Jersey transplant, but sadly he passed away several years ago. I have a Santa Cruz Mountain Brewing Company pale ale. It is good but kind of standard. I switch it up to English Ales Breweries Pale Ale. Delish. A mix of English Malt and Hops with California sensibilities. They are located in Marina, Ca. Still, not quite the north west beer experience I have been in search of. I have several of these and call it a night as it is now 10pm and I have been awake since 1am local time.

Saturday:
Check out some sights and then breakfast at the Santa Cruz diner(bangin). Back to the hotel room to iron my shirt while watching the movie Dave(stupid, yet entertaining). Off to the wedding. We get driven out to a ranch in Felton in a rented (party)van. Wedding is killer. Good friends, good food, good vibe, good tunes. I reunite with some sweet dudes that I met when Mike was in college. At the reception we drink High Life. High Life is a good beer and frickin great for a macro. We head to the after party in the van and someone sparks up a J. Sweet. We drink some beer at the after party, but I am already blitzed so I can't retain information. It is a really hoppy amber from a local brewery and it is damn good. Next we hit the SC diner. I have an omelet. I get 2/3 into it and realize I am too drunk. I hoof it back to the hotel and ass out.

Sunday:
Wake up early and immediately vom. Next I take some advil and go find where I left the car. Still there. I check out some sights: the wharf, surfing museum. Next, burrito. This one has sprouts in it, which is cool, but they use refried beans which I am not a fan of when it comes to burritos. Still pretty good though, but kinda sloppy. After lunch I head over to the Santa Cruz Mountain Brewery. It is located in a weird warehouse/garage plaza that also has a bunch of wineries. Or at least places where wineries sell their shit. The bar area, or tasting room, has a nice set up. Real chill vibe, sweet oldies playing on the sound system, food and cheese can be ordered, and the barkeep is nice to look at. I order a Peoples Porter which is infused with coffee. A good choice when you are still mildly hungover. Nice malty aroma. It is quite delicious. Malty, roasty, smoky, with chocolate and coffee, but a little thin in the body. I realize two things. I should have ordered a flight, but then again, I am all by myself and that might seem kinda off. Two, their beer is all organic. I haven't had too many OG beers that I have enjoyed, but the porter is definitely good. As I drink the porter I see that they have a seasonal Olallieberry ale. WTF is an Olallieberry. I look it up on Wikipedia. A cross between a Loganberry and a Youngberry, which are crosses of raspberries, blackberries, and dewberries. An Olallieberry is crossed with a Chehalem blackberry to create the elusive Marionberry. Weird. I order one somewhat self consciously. Is this a chick beer. It is good. Mildly sweet and fruity with light carbonation. Great for a summer day. Also, it is beautiful out. I head out from SCMB to Santa Cruz Aleworks, but they are closed. Bummer. I head over to Mike and Ida's and chill there drinking Fat Tire and eating BBQ, SC style. Veggies and fake sausages. Life is good. We head into town later to the Red Room where Ida works. I order a Lagunitas IPA and me and Mark talk to some lesbians who at first don't believe we are from NJ but on closer inspection they deem us slightly Guido. Nice. We head back early and drink some high life before bed.

Stick around for Part 2: Northern California.

No comments:

Post a Comment