Tuesday, November 2, 2010

On being a hophead



Lately I have been making a concerted effort to not just drink pale ales and IPA's. I definitely dig on many beer styles and I have a desire to expand my pallet, but if I'm not paying attention I will fall back on old habits. Like today. I was off from work and kinda bored. I got in the car with the intention of driving to Target to buy a new toothbrush. Somehow I ended up at a beer store in Westfield that has a pretty good selection. I meandered around for a couple minutes checking out what they had to offer. I picked up one bottle, picked up another, looked around some more. Before I realized it I had nearly $50 worth of brew at the checkout counter, all of which were IPA's, but one. I'm not complaining because I got some good stuff (Celebration Ale, Sierra Southern Hemi, Ballast Point IPA). Sometimes, though, I have to force myself to buy other styles, even if I know I will like it. Like, I have no idea when the last time it was that I bought a stout at the beer store. I just love those hops. The way they taste, the way they smell, even the way they look (fresh). So I'm asking my readers (the six friends i have that pay attention to this thing) to suggest non-pale ales for me to try over the next month. I have an IPA in primary fermentation right now that will be ready in about a month, so I'll be back on them lupulins by then. Help me mix it up in the mean time.

What I'm drinking: Various IPA's
What I'm listening to: Celph Titled

3 comments:

  1. I love my coronas and Sam Adams Boston Lager, but every once in a while I go buck-wild and get some sort of cider or weird pale ale (Porkslap for instance, not carbonated enough but interesting smooth light flavor).

    I'm also expanding my cocktail repertoire. The alcohol combo might kill us, but one day maybe we should have a hybrid beer-tasting & cocktail testing session. I'll mix whiskey and gin and things you've never even heard of, and you'll give me some tips on what to look for when I'm trying a beer I've never touched.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm down for the combo tasting. Gotta have off the next day though, cause I'll be hung the f over

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thanksgiving drinks include:

    Brooklyn Brewery Black Choc Stout
    Brooklyn Brewery Soriachi Ace
    Dogfish Head Palo Santo Maron
    and DogFish Head World Wide Stout

    Happy Turkey Day...

    Gobble Fucking Gobble

    P.S....you like Celph Titled...

    props for that

    ReplyDelete